Essentially weight loss is affected positively or negatively by:1) Nutrition 2) Exercise 3) Hormones
Nutrition for Weight and Fat Loss
If you are overweight you need to get your nutrition in check. Broadly there are 2 things which you need to remove from your diet:
• Startchy Carbohydrates- bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and flour
• Sugars – via fruits, lactose and refined (sweets, table sugar, cakes etc)
Counter this with eating good clean sources of protein and vegetables. Nuts and seeds make a great healthy snacks, avoid the dried fruits though!
Exercise for Weight and Fat Loss
If you want to lose weight and get rid of that unwanted fat, the good news is long tedious cardio is not for you. What you need to do instead is raise your heart rate and lift weights.
• 30 second cadio blast – Eg, Run on spot (easy) – Burpees (hard)
• Lift weight for one body part Eg, Chest – Chest Press – 12 - 20Reps
• Lift weight for another body part Eg, Arms – Tricep Dip– 12 -20Reps
Repeat going through all main muscles:
- Legs - Squat
- Bum - Bridge
- Legs (hamstrings) - Deadlift
- Shoulders - Military Press
- Back - Pull or Chin Up
Make sure your heart rate remains high throughout
Hormones play a key role in your body composition, weight or fat loss and your general sense of wellbeing. Exercise and nutrition can play a pivotal part in balancing your hormones but other factors matter also. Stress and a lack of proper sleep are the main things that undermine weight loss.
Ask yourself if:a) The sleep you get is sufficient b) The sleep you get is quality
If you aren’t getting enough, get more! If your sleep is broken, try adding a Magnesium supplement to your diet. There are also magnesium bath salts which will help relax you for a better nights sleep.
Obviously this is just a snapshot of the areas needed to be considered for weight loss. Look out for articles where we go in to more depth on each.
Crouch End / Muswell Hill / Highgate / Hampstead Personal Trainer